Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Of Consumption and Consumerism

… Inequalities in consumption are stark. Globally, the 20% of the world’s people in the highest-income countries account for 86% of total private consumption expenditures — the poorest 20% a minuscule 1.3%. More specifically, the richest fifth:

  • Consume 45% of all meat and fish, the poorest fifth 5%
  • Consume 58% of total energy, the poorest fifth less than 4%
  • Have 74% of all telephone lines, the poorest fifth 1.5%
  • Consume 84% of all paper, the poorest fifth 1.1%
  • Own 87% of the world’s vehicle fleet, the poorest fifth less than 1%

-Human Development Report 1998 Overview-UNDP

More often than not, we become slaves to consumerism: I'm sorry I dont get excited over an LV bag, or long rebonded hair pimped from excessive expensive chemical-pumped Vidal Sassoon formula, or fancy cars or OPI nail polish, or expensive Salvatore Ferragamo shoes. I'm sorry I can't answer questions hurled at me for not grooming myself to look like some ornament/vase/pretty picture. I wish that people would smarten up and stop adopting this consumer culture. I think those people come off as looking rather fake/pompous than being an elite class.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home